BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

BMW 525D E60 with a LOT of fault codes

Tags
525d codes lot
11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  1Animal1 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

Can someone help me with the causes of the following codes - I have some ideas which I've listed below and some additional questions:

A0B5 Wheel-speed sensor
(Is there any way to understand what wheel?)
A111 Fault, ELV external powering
(What is the ELV?)
A0B2 Supply, terminal 30E
D904 CAS: K-CAN Wire Fault

(I presume the last three here are all related?)

4212 Glow plug, Cylinder 1
4222 Glow plug, Cylinder 2
4232 Glow plug, Cylinder 3
4242 Glow plug, Cylinder 4
4252 Glow plug, Cylinder 5
4262 Glow plug, Cylinder 6
4203 Glow control module

(I assume the control module is bust here and needs replaced? Where abouts is it on this car?)
4B90 Rail-pressure monitoring on engine start
43E2 Throttle valve, activation
4687 Throttle valve
43D1 Throttle valve, activation
4677 Throttle valve
49E7 Throttle actuator

(Would I be right in thinking that the above are related? Is the actuator separate fromt he value or all one unit?
4587 Heated fuel filter

5DCF Control module, under voltage
00,01,5F056 no found!
D356 No message (torque 0AA)
D355 No message (tordue 0A9)

(I have no idea about these 4)
5F45 Brake fluid level too low
(At last! An obvious code.)

93C2 Seat mat, seat-occupancy detector, passenger, faulty
9408 Undervoltage during self-test
93D0 Undervoltage
93FB Control-module fault

Any help on any of these codes and possible solutions would be most welcome :)

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Whether you need to replace the glowplug controller is a matter for debate. The car will start fine without it even down to -10C. There is an internet myth that the car won't regenerate and the DPF will block without glowplugs but there's only anecdotal evidence; nothing from BMW. Most diesel BMW's seem to have at least one glowplug down so when the DPF blocks up people tend to link the two.

As Matthew says it's probably worth clearing down all the codes and seeing what comes back. You can get quite a lot of spurious codes when the battery goes flat and you have got some low voltage codes there.

The throttle valve is on the front of the engine in front of the EGR - that is needed for a DPF regen so you will need to sort that out. However that will log a fault every time it's unplugged so it might have just been unplugged at some point. See if the codes come back.

#6 ·
So far I have cleared the glow plug codes and they came straight back so I'll look at the controller. I'll clear all others and see what comes back as there were battery issues at one point.

There are no lights on on the dash and the car starts and runs fine with the exception that it's a little lumpy for about 20 seconds at startup.

Regarding the throttle value errors is this engine prone to the egr getting full of soot and generally needing a good scrub? Are they related?

#8 ·
Regarding the throttle value errors is this engine prone to the egr getting full of soot and generally needing a good scrub? Are they related?
The throttle valve can get jammed but usually nowhere near as much as the EGR because it's on the clean air side of the EGR.

The EGR and inlet manifold do get seriously coked up on these cars. Mr Henson did a big write up on his somewhere.

#10 ·
Hi,
Just for info, I also had faults showing on all 6 plugs and my car regened fine as well. Iv'e since replaced the controller which cleared the fault codes. Biggest problem I found doing this job was removing the connectors to the control unit, apart from that it was relatively easy following a you tube clip I came across. No need to remove the manifold as I have seen mentioned elsewhere.

#13 ·
I assume you are going to change the glows too? most people assume that they are for starting ONLY which is not the case on this engine - they actively monitor the engine and feedback to the ECU resulting in a loss of MPG.

I'd forget about the fuel heater - that's to tackle fuel separation in low temps, it's not life changing in the UK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.