BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

530d E61 starting problems. Help please!

Tags
e61 starting
6K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  hopalong64 
#1 ·
Hi
My 530d E61 wouldn't start this morning. Turned over once, then completely dead - not even 'clicking' ....
Tried it with a small jump start pack, but nothing ...
Called Green Flag, but even his Jump start pack didn't do it, nor would connecting his main jump leads ... Mechanic thinks it blew a fuse on his truck as my car was drawing so much power ... Still nothing...
We then towed the car off my drive and pushed it down the hill. 2nd gear, dump clutch and she started and ran fine....
Mechanic checked, and says it was charging so we came to the conclusion that the battery was dead - probably original and 7 years old.
Bought a new Bosch Platinum battery and fitted it ....

Still wont start!!

But it will still start if you bump it down the hill ...

No error codes or faults appearing on iDrive.

I have no more ideas....

Any advice / thoughts gratefully received please.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#14 ·
Try removing the ibs lead off the negative battery terminal. I had the exact same thing a few months ago where the car wouldn't start. Wouldn't start with a boost pack and ignition lights wouldn't even come on.would just say high battery drain and shut down. I automatically assumed dead battery, but once the ibs lead was removed/unplugged it started straight up with a boost pack on the terminals under the engine. I've left it unplugged for about months now and I've not had a single problem. The ibs lead 'intelligently' charges the battery to prolong its life. This is why a new battery must be coded to the car so the ibs can monitor and prolong the battery's health and life. Try removing this and see if it helps. They are sensitive so it is possible it could have been damaged during a battery change, it may be a simple fix. Its just a black small wire connected to the negative wire that goes to the battery. easy to see and it just unclips. if i plug mine back in and leave it for a few hours my car wont start. The ibs prevents the vehicle from going into sleep mode and drains the battery. the car draws a lot of power for starting so you may need a boost pack or alike on the terminals under the bonnet to get it to start, although a fully charged battery should be ok. Also, I've read that its not advisable to bump start bmw diesels! Hope this helps!

#20 ·
Makes me think the battery power is perhaps too low to crank the engine? Have you tried starting it with boost pack on the terminals under rhe bonnet and ibs unplugged? Mine wouldn't start with boost pack on and ibs plugged in. i had to unplug the ibs lead then try again. also i had to lock the car then unlock it with ibs disconnected for the car to fire up. I 'think' the car needed to try and 'sleep' with ibs disconnected. once the car knows its not working the startup order of the car is changed and the car will charge the battery off of default settings. You will probably find your battery is dead again after being plugged into the car as the ibs is preventing the car from sleeping properly and a module is not shutting down, draining the battery. A lot pf power is needed to start the car. a lot. if the amps are too lpw it will not try and fore up, hence why a bump start works. Have a google search for hidden menu BMW e60, loads of videos on YouTube too will show how to do it. Will need the last 5digits of your vin as the code to temporarily remove the lock in menu 19. Then it's option 7 or option 9 in the hidden menu. As I say google will help, with that. Then you can monitor the voltage of the battery while attached to the car. Then you can see what happens when it tried to start, on tick over etc. Does your dash light up and stay on when you push start button or put key to position 2? Mine would not light up in position 2. Only had airbag lights on and handbrake light, no eml or anything else which lights up usually when you push start/put key on pos 2. My headlights and stereo still worked, so did heating fans. Any other messages appearing on idrive fault list at all? Steering lock errors perhaps? High battery discharge etc? I had all kinds of warnings that have not returned since ibs has been unplugged. Failing that do you know of anyone with inpa or alike that could check your fault codes? Where about are you based, may have a nice member willing to take a quick look with their software. Also have a read of this link as to why not to bump start http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95547

Maybe hearsay, but I wouldn't be bump starting it! Hope this is of some use! Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.