535d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi ya all,

Looks like you have saved me allot of time posting all of my questions ! I have a 2006 535d m sport with exactley the same issue...Mine has been into the dealer for its work as it was under warranty, but the warranty is now up and the brake judder is still there ! :-(

So far I have had 5 sets of disc, 2 set of calipers, 3 sets of pads, brake reaction bushes, wheel hubs and bearing...and just for good measure new ball joints ! I still cant believe that after all this work, I still have the same bloddy problem of beake judder !!

Have you guys or anyone else got any more ideas, as I am now in a battle with BMW to cover the work under warranty seeing as the fault started in May when the car was still covered by warranty ??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    italian job's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D E61
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTO
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    God Phil,my heart sank when i read the above,are the brake reaction bushes the compliance bushes that i changed? There is a picture or a link to a picture that someone kindly posted earlier on in the thread.
    Another idea is topmounts.
    Cheers Paul.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    pashgrove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi Paul,

I am not sure as the dealer carried out the work. All I know is that it is driving me mad ! When the disk were first changed, and the brake judder persisted, all the dealer did was change the disc again...I kept saying to them that there must be something causing the discs to warp but they didn't seem to interested!

I am now thinking that it could be suspension related, but I am no expert...The dealer has now droped me like a hot potato and referred me to BMW GB, and as yet things have not been resolved !!

I not sure what else it could be, I am due to speak with BMW later today, so as and when I have an update, I will post it on here.

Has anyone else got any ideas or experienced this type of fault before ??

Cheers
    Phil

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pashgrove For This Useful Post:

ose1665 (03-11-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Fazzinio's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I have the same problem with my 535d M sport, 2006 56, 37,000 miles owned from 3 months old. New front pads around 27,000 miles, always serviced at main dealer. It has the 19" options which I had all 4 x refurbed about 2k miles ago, proper job, powder coated etc, with contact area to hub taken back to alloy to maintain heat transfer from disc to wheel. Apparently these discs rely on the wheel rejecting some of the braking heat build up to the wheel itself. Brakes have never given any judder whatsoever until after the wheels were refurbed, so I'm now thinking that my recently developed judder is due to the wheel refurb. Anyone else had the same effects?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D E61
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTO
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazzinio View Post
    I have the same problem with my 535d M sport, 2006 56, 37,000 miles owned from 3 months old. New front pads around 27,000 miles, always serviced at main dealer. It has the 19" options which I had all 4 x refurbed about 2k miles ago, proper job, powder coated etc, with contact area to hub taken back to alloy to maintain heat transfer from disc to wheel. Apparently these discs rely on the wheel rejecting some of the braking heat build up to the wheel itself. Brakes have never given any judder whatsoever until after the wheels were refurbed, so I'm now thinking that my recently developed judder is due to the wheel refurb. Anyone else had the same effects?
    I suppose the only way to prove its your wheels are causing the problems is to substitute another set of wheels and see if the problem goes away,are you anywhere near Derbyshire?

Cheers Paul.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    pashgrove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I have also had all my 19" wheels refurbished, when BMW GB got involved in my case they also told me about the heat transfer.....But to proove that the issue wasn't the wheels, I got the dealer to change the wheels on my car for another one they had in the dealership, and the problem was still there !!!

I am still chasing BMW now, so any further updates I will let you all know.

Cheers
    Phil

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    ose1665's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Dec 2002
    Transmission Type:
    automatic/steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    If the problem is lack of heat transfer then when you get the judder no ammount of wheel changings going to fix it because the discs will be knackered by then causing the judder. Only new discs and a wheel change will prove the point and that may well need months of driving to ensure the problem is fully sorted.
    Personally I find this hard to believe unless you guys are driving to the limit and hammering the brakes to within an inch of there lives.
    WTF are BMW saying here 'We fit wheels we know will cause brake failure'..
    If it is true BMW should be fitting disc/pad combinations that can stand the heat. No excuses....I would call watch dog they have already had a go about wheels cracking they would love this.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Fazzinio's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ose1665 View Post
    If the problem is lack of heat transfer then when you get the judder no ammount of wheel changings going to fix it because the discs will be knackered by then causing the judder. Only new discs and a wheel change will prove the point and that may well need months of driving to ensure the problem is fully sorted.
    Personally I find this hard to believe unless you guys are driving to the limit and hammering the brakes to within an inch of there lives.
    WTF are BMW saying here 'We fit wheels we know will cause brake failure'..
    If it is true BMW should be fitting disc/pad combinations that can stand the heat. No excuses....I would call watch dog they have already had a go about wheels cracking they would love this.
    You're spot on, once the disc is warped its knackered, so changing wheels without changing discs will have no effect. There's a definite high spot on the offside front disc, nearside not effected. Jacked up, spun wheel and it stops / catches in the same position with each spin. Only time I've hammered the brake pedal was when some muppet in a pedal car pulled out in front of me on motorway, but that was some 18 months ago.

Cheers, Tony.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D E61
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTO
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazzinio View Post
    You're spot on, once the disc is warped its knackered, so changing wheels without changing discs will have no effect. There's a definite high spot on the offside front disc, nearside not effected. Jacked up, spun wheel and it stops / catches in the same position with each spin. Only time I've hammered the brake pedal was when some muppet in a pedal car pulled out in front of me on motorway, but that was some 18 months ago.

Cheers, Tony.
    Sorry i got the wrong end of the stick,i didn't think you were saying the discs are warped i thought you were saying the wheels themselves were causing the vibration.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Fazzinio's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Yes sorry, theory is, heat not transferred to wheel so disc warps. Now booked it in to David Holmes Stockport for investigation, they've looked after it since day one. When I explained problem to them they said they'd look at it and take it up with BMW UK if they felt disc was an issue. I'll post an update after they've looked at it.

Thanks, Tony.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast