BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2005 E61 525d - Noise at 20mph

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  btccfan 
#1 ·
Hi

I have read many threads on this forum but not sure if I have definitely found the answer I’m looking for.

I picked my first BMW last weekend a 525d M-Sport auto Touring on a 2005 plate. It’s lovely but before collecting it, the dealer told me it had failed it’s MOT due to low brakes and discs. The front pads and discs and rear pads were replaced. Having driven home, I find that at around 20-30mph there’s a sort of droning noise as the car is moving. It doesn’t appear to change as I steer or put the car in neutral. However I can feel the “noise” through the steering wheel and brake pedal. The feeling increases as I brake, as if the brake pads are rough, not smooth! I’ve spoken to the dealer who has in turn spoken to the guy that fitted the new brakes. He says he used Unipart brakes and has once had a customer that felt that the brakes were harsh! My other slight niggle is that on bumpy roads the car seems to be a bit twitchy and sometimes wants to follow a rut or groove in the surface. I suspect this is just the big wheels but if any of you who have similar models think this is all normal then I’ll be happy, otherwise I’ve got to go back to the dealer.

Thanks

Jerram

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure about the noise but I also find (with my current 535d and previous 330ci) that the low profile tyres mean you can get 'stuck in a rut' so to speak, to be fair that is totally normal, just avoid the slow lane on motorways as the trucks tend to have dug trenches in that lane!
How many miles has the car done since the brakes were changed?

#4 ·
Thanks

Having read a number of other threads I can see that the "tramlining" is probably nothing to do with the noise and is a symptom of big wheels, low profile and run flat tyres! Seems like this can be improved by going with conventional rather than run flats!
As for the noise, I don't think it is actually the brakes as they seem to work fine and are not showing signs of overheating or pulling to one side. I will give the wheel bearings a shake tomorrow but would be surprised if this is the cause as it's less than a week since the car got through it's MOT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.