Model of Car:
    525d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    could someone please tell me how to re-set the oil service indicator on i-drive, yellow triangle with exclamation mark in centre, in the middle of dash, i have tried all the methods on the net, and it will not work on mine, when i switch ignition to II and press odometer reset button, it goes to the german hidden mode, showing chassis no etc,
    i cannot seem to get it to re-set, i have a restraint error on i-drive, so would it be causing the problem in accessing the service menu, my service light comes on when i turn key to start up, and shows -5000 miles??? i have the car 1 month, i serviced it myself, but i have tried everything to remove this light?? any help? or is it dealer only, 2004 525d manual with i-drive??

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    sestorious's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    53 reg
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Firstly with the ignition switched on, set the odometer trip meter back to zero by pushing it once. Then switch the ignition back off again. (I found this step was critical, otherwise I couldn't get to the "Service" menu).

Now you are ready to go through the reset steps as follows:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

Hints & Tips
    Before actually resetting anything, go through steps 1, 2 and 6 above until you are familiar (and sure) what you want to reset. Practice this a few times and note down in what order the icons appear after the initial "Service" icon appears.

If you do happen to hold the button down too long against an item you don't want to reset and the "RESET?" appears, just leave the button alone for 10 seconds or so and it will not let you reset the item. (Alternatively just switch the ignition off and start again).

Sometimes if you have not released and pressed the button again quickly enough, when you hold it down again the German technical writing will appear after about 15 - 20 seconds instead of the Service item icon you were expecting. (If this happens just switch off the ignition and start again).

Once you are sure what item you want to reset and are confident of the sequence, then give it a go. If you do hesitate between releasing and pressing the button at any time, you will have to go back to the beginning and start again as "he who hesitates is lost".
    good luck m8 let me know how you get on!!!

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    coogsyrsv's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    ive read that on another forum mate, near enough word for word, though its not working for me, im not getting the yellow service warning on mine, ive heard a rumour say that once you go -1000 for example and beyond, its a bmw dealer trip to remove it?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Mostly Harmless's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Is it deffinatly the oil service light your trying to reset? If it's brake pads it won't reset until the sensor is changed. I've reset lights showing in excess of 20k overdue before so I wouldn't expect that to be the problem.

If it is oil, there is no reason I can think of it shouldn't reset unless there is a problem with the car. Just get in, shut the door, ignition on, wait for the dash to clear its messages (low fuel etc) or you can press the BC button to clear them. Once it goes to the default screen just press and hold the left button and hold until the menu comes up.

The trip counter will clear, then restore itself, then the warning and service data should come up.

To have a problem with this system is very rare. I think sometimes it won't let you reset it on the dash if you have fuel reserve showing.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    coogsyrsv's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    i get in, switch on ignition, clear odometer, ignition off, then ign on again, press and held the reset odometer button on the left for 5 secs, nothing happens, apart from my airbag restraint error light illuminated in red in the centre of dash(which i must get checked asap) if i hold it any longer it goes to the german tech!!

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Ahh ok, then that'll be it. If you can't clear the airbag warning it won't let you access the service reset menu. Try clicking it away with the BC button. If you cant your stuck I'm affraid :( Reset tool req'd.

As for the reseting the counter and switching it off then back on, I've reset many, many of these and NEVER had to do that..

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    coogsyrsv's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    yeah i tried it both ways, getting nothing, can understand its simple procedure, but i will get the airbag codes read and cleared, then re-set service light!!

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    If you can't reset the MRS fault code use the tool to reset the service light, while your there you might aswell!