BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 530d boost loss after exhaust manifold replacement

8K views 44 replies 6 participants last post by  Lordcharlie 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I bought this car about a month ago and it's been a bit of a nightmare...
I was getting fumes in the cabin so had the exhaust manifold replaced to a cast iron one. The old manifold, as expected, had cracks - 6 cracks actually. Since the part was replaced, the car now has no boost. Revving the engine when parked you can hear the turbo spool up, but the revs rise pretty slowly, and the car has no boost when driving. There've been no warning lights come up.
I'm thinking a blocked DPF, but I don't know why there'd be no warning light/message, and I'm surprised at how well the car was running before the manifold change if it was blocked... Any ideas at all??? Thanks!!

#2 ·
Probably just a reassembly error, when I changed mine I managed to get dirt in two of the injectors and it ran like a pig afterwards. Had both injectors refurbished and now back to normal.

Imagine there is probably a connector off or vacuum hose not reattached properly, perhaps the snorkel to the turbo is not fitted properly or one of the induction houses from the turbo to the intercooler is not properly connected.

Unlikely to be anything to do with the DPF, but worth getting the fault codes read just to check

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Matthew. I thought it was probably a turbo pipe too, but the guy who changed it has had a look and is convinced that everything is where it needs to be. I guess a fault code read is the next step. If the DPF is blocked, do you know if it will always throw up a code?
Thanks, Charlie

#8 ·
So I got the fault codes off - 4242 dde: glow plug cylinder 4 activation, open circuit fault
4222 dde: glow plug cylinder 2 activation, open circuit fault
4212 dde: glow plug cylinder 1 activation, open circuit fault

Doesn't seem enough to have a 50% power loss! :frown

#11 ·
Id also be inclined to think its a vacuum pipe split/cracked or not connected somewhere. Were any of the pipes changed? Also check the canister for cracks around the plastic inlet and outlet pipes.
My boost leak turned out to be a pipe to the canister that had been changed for a slightly larger one

#15 ·
Bet something is not plugged in properly in that case, when I did mine it was a pretty major job as you need to take the rocker cover off which means taking all the injectors out. Also check this connection (red circle), sometimes it looks like it is on but it is not, and the circlip can break

#19 ·
Just to confirm... On my model - 09/2004 - the DPF is in the middle of the car isn't it? The guy today was convinced that it was the cat, and that to DPF was bolted not the turbo, but isn't that the 2006+ models? but I'm pretty sure it's the DPF! All these 'professionals' with so much conflicting information....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.