BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 530d boost loss after exhaust manifold replacement

8K views 44 replies 6 participants last post by  Lordcharlie 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I bought this car about a month ago and it's been a bit of a nightmare...
I was getting fumes in the cabin so had the exhaust manifold replaced to a cast iron one. The old manifold, as expected, had cracks - 6 cracks actually. Since the part was replaced, the car now has no boost. Revving the engine when parked you can hear the turbo spool up, but the revs rise pretty slowly, and the car has no boost when driving. There've been no warning lights come up.
I'm thinking a blocked DPF, but I don't know why there'd be no warning light/message, and I'm surprised at how well the car was running before the manifold change if it was blocked... Any ideas at all??? Thanks!!

#37 ·
So in the end I took the car into Barkers in haslemere to get sorted. It needed a new f'ing turbo!! I didn't get all the details as my wife went into labour so I left it for my dad to sort out for me, but apparently there is an electrical component that gets moved during the manifold change, and when unsettled sometimes they just fail. The upshot was that although the turbo had not blown, it needed replacing. Just bad luck apparently! Oh well, the car is up and running well again - as you'd hope........ Thanks for everyone's help and input. Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.