BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2003 E39 530D Sport: Clunk noise at low speed, rear offside wheel

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Blair Mayne 
#1 ·
Evening all,

As title, I'm getting a pretty lound clunking sound coming from the rear drivers side wheel. It only happens at very slow speeds and goes away as you speed up. Also, doesn't seem to happen in reverse or neutral?

The wheel bearing has had it aswell so wondered if it could be related to that. I'm planning on taking it in next week but don't want to get spanked for the clunking too if it's related. Has anyone any suggestions? I've had a search but didn't really find anything definitive.

Thanks all

#2 ·
I have had a similar issue with my e61 M Sport up until last Saturday when I tracked the issue down and sorted it.

One of the small anti rattle clips on the back of the inside brake pad that secured the pad to the caliper piston was broken causing the pad to clunk about at low speed going over bumps etc. New pads and happy me.

Worth a look and a simple and inexpensive repair if it turns out to be the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.