BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E39 530I Annoying "engine failsafe prog" problem

15K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Z3ON 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've been reading through the various online forums trying to find a solution to a very annoying problem I have with my E39 3.0 Sport (M54 engine) and all the topics for the error seem to relate to the V8 cars.

Basically, the car runs fine, has 157k Miles on the clock, until I reach and hold 46-50 MPH, at which point the car drops into "engine failsafe prog" mode. I can recreate the problem at will, basically accelerate to 50MPH, and then drop back to 46 and maintain that speed, within 50' ping!

The garage have said the error codes relate to air/fuel mixture and the tail pipe is quite black even after a long motorway run which would indicate its running rich.

The garage have said that the code reader they have is stating problems with trim banks 1&2.

So far, I have had replaced, based on the various fault codes:

- Idle control valve
- Crank case breather and all vacuum hoses
- Air mass meter

The swirl valve rattles quite a bit and is going to be replaced as its suspected that it might also be faulty, but its more about it rattling on its mounts.

The emissions light comes on as well.

I can accelerate all the way to top speed on a motorway, drive and any speed I like and she doesn't miss a beat, I can drive between 45 and 50, providing I don't maintain it, if I do "ping"!

You would be amazed though, how many people drive at that speed though.

I'm going to order a code reader today from ebay (an ELM 327 1.4a) PC based one, if anyone thinks that its not going to do the job then let me know and I'll get something else.

If anyone has seen this problem before or can give me some ideas as to what might be causing it I would be very great full, once the code reader arrives I'll post the fault codes once I have them.

- Paul

See less See more
#3 ·
Its an auto, but you got me thinking, does it always do it in the same gear so I had a play today and the plot thickens.

Its not speed sensitive, its actually the rpm that is the key. I can get her to do it in almost any gear, providing the revs are above 1600 and less than 2000.

It turns out that at 46mph ish in 5th is within the above rev range.

#5 ·
The garage have said it is faulty in as much as it rattles at high rpm, they suggested disconnecting it, which they did and it doesn't make any difference to the problem, although the car does run smoother with it disconnected .

I'm going to pick a replacement one up next week and fit it, should rule another thing out.

The garage did suggest that maybe the ECU might have gone bad, but I would have thought if it was then I would be having a lot more problems than just this.

#6 ·
Ok, I've finally managed to retrieve the error codes, they are:

P0172 - System Too Rich
P0175 - System Too Rich
P1084 - Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P1086 - Fuel Control Mixture Rich (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P1500 - Idle Speed Control Valve Stuck Open
P1512 - DISA Control Circuit Signal Low

Any ideas anyone?

- Paul

#8 ·
I have the exact same problem did you find the cause

Hi
I have the exact same problem.....fail safe mode if I drive between 1400 and 1900 rpm for any period.

The code reads p1500.

I too have changed the ICV, the throttle body and the rubber elbow boot...

Did you solve this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.