BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E39 530d Tracking Issue - Advice Please

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kwempe 
#1 ·
Guys,

I had my car in at Kwik Fit this afternoon to have my tracking checked as it was only slightly off IMO and they told me it was out by 6MM :jaw-dropping.

I thought that was an awful lot, so agreed to have them set up the tracking, and with the use of their laser wheel thingys did so.

Mechanic takes it up the road and comes back saying "thats fine"
I take the car away and within minutes am back saying its wrong and not right.

Again they checked it and I took it away and its not right.

Basically, when the wheels are in a straight line the steering wheel is off to the right, with centre spoke pointing towards my left thigh.

As soon as you straighten the wheel when driving along the car veers off left massively.
Now this aint right.

Any advice or possible reason why this is now the case, when it wasn't like this when I took it in there??

Cheers

Wayne.

See less See more
#3 ·
They have almost certainly adjusted one side only-a typical tyre and exhaust centre lazy bodge. It may be that one of the adjusters is siezed but they should have told you that and either offered to repair or sent you away-no charge.
Take it striaght back and tell them the wheel was straight before they touched it but not now and DEMAND they adjust it so your wheel is straight and your tracking correct. If they fob you off ask to use their phone to ring their head office.
If you look at the track rods can you see if one has been worked on (scuffed, marked with spanners, stilsons)? If you can and you tell me which one, I can tell you which way to turn the track rod end to bring the wheel straight again.
I would really go back, guns blazing if I was you though........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.