BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 E39 525d SE - Fuel Issues(FIXED)

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Kevin Whittaker 
#1 ·
Hi all not been on for a while for which I must apologise - the boffins in IT put a block on me getting into the site at work- too much time on the site not enough at work probably.

Anyway just a quick update on the intermittant non starting fuel issue I had -although I was getting the diagnostic rail pressure failure when the car would not start the actual problem was not diagnosed until a new pump was fitted. We all thought it was the pump under the seat so I had that changed - the car ran sweet for 2mins then coughed and spluttered. On the road test awful lack of power and the mechanic could not sus it out - then they thought it was fuel lines as the car completely packed up and would not start on the ramps. What the garage did not realise was that my BMW has 3 pumps - one in the tank - one under the seat and one lurking under the car. So in effect the job cost me £200 more than it should of as the pump under the seat was ok and did not need replacing. But once you fit a pump and it has been contaminated by fuel the manufacturers do not take them back. So fuel pump under car changed and all is now back to normal full power across the rev range - it would hesitate at 3000 rpm before.

Thus be warned make sure if you get starting issues ensure that all three pumps are tested! Just thought to share as the Oil change, new front pads and the messing about with the fuel pumps cost me a total of 7 days with the car in the garage and £650!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.