BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1999 E39 528i - AC / heater problem

Tags
528i ac hot air
599 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  chrismechanic2000 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum, and new to my 528i also so thanks in advance for your help...

First of all my ac doesn't work, and according to the KwikFit guy, there is a 'leak' in the system somewhere so it cannot be re-gassed. I'll get that looked at by an AC expert.

Secondly I noticed that with the temp setting on lowest (16 degrees) with the fan on, and the auto button pressed (but not the AC button cos I know it doesn't work) - there was very hot air blowing through the windscreen vents only. The face vents were normal air temp. If I switch the air circ to face only then the hot air stops.. Am I right in thinking I might have a faulty heater control valve?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I know it's been a while, but here is an update for the symptoms above:

For the AC not working, I found a leaking pipe and managed to replace it myself, knowing the system was already de-pressurised - You should never remove an AC pipe without first de-pressurising the system. It was the pipe from the compressor to the back of the engine bay. I got the AC recharge kit from halfords and re-gassed the system - ice cold AC!

The problem with hot air blowing through the windscreen vents was down to a faulty heater control valve, which I got replaced and now working as it should

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.