Thinking of buying a Z4 - what do I need to know?

Notices

Thread: Thinking of buying a Z4 - what do I need to know?

Reply to Thread
  1. Thinking of buying a Z4 - what do I need to know? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    hawk13's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    635d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    I'm thinking of buying a Z4 for the wife now that we have (nearly!) got rid of kids and can chop in the SUV she currently has.

University costs are putting a dent in the budget so I only have up to £5k - and preferably less.

Is there anything I specifically need to look for other than age related issues? She is a petrol head and so the 3.0 versions are preferred.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    colb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3 1.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable
    Thanks
    2005 (55) - BMW Z4 2.0i SE 2-Door
    Just spotted this Z4 at a local car sales to me, stopped and had a look, its spotless even though it has 128k miles on it.
    Fabric seats, interior looks fine. In Newport just off Jnc 27 M4 High Cross turn off. If my Z3 wasn't so good and low miles I would buy it, if the wife would let me!!
    1999 1.8 South Wales UK

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    hawk13's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    635d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Cloth seats and the 2 litre engine are enough for me not to even click on the link but thanks anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Tomsdad's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster

Thanks
    I have recently purchased a Z4 predominantly for my wife. We took a very long time to find the right one and looked at many. In the end I flew up to Glasgow to buy the right car (private sale) and drove it 400 miles home.
    Our thought process may be different to yours.
    We used auto trader and e bay and set up filters and notifications for the model we wanted. We specifically wanted a 3 litre engine. We are fortunate that this will be a fun car that doesn't need to be used all the time.

The cars that we travelled to look at were described as "excellent" condition and the like but in reality they were not good. Perhaps I have higher expectations, but it is worth waiting for the right one to come up. Most owners of the advertised cars couldn't believe me walking away. Almost insisted I offer something. But if a car hasn't been looked after and loved and cherished, it's not the car for me at any price.

Also (without being condescending in anyway) Cars in the north are generally cheaper than cars in the south.
    Our car is a 2007 facelift 3.0 litre Si with 49,000 miles. Full stamps in the service book with no knocks or dents in the bodywork. I paid £6,500. A little over what I wanted to pay, but a great deal of car for the money.

Also I would urge you to think carefully about the engine. With the roof down and great handling, you may regret having the 2.0. On the other hand there will be more smaller engine cars available.

Just because you see a car for sale, just around the corner. Doesn't make it the best one for you.
    Buy with your head not your heart.

Good hunting.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    thanatoid's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F10 535d/987.1 Boxster
    Year of Manufacture:
    2011/2006
    Transmission Type:
    ZF 8SP/5sp tiptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon/Convertible

Thanks
    Used Cars for Sale - Auto Trader UK

As Tomsdad says, autotrader login, save searches and watch what pops up, if something nice goes another will be along soon, it IS of course peak ragtop buying season :-)

I too went to Glasgow for the Boxster, so around 400 miles, but prepared to walk away if something smells bad, recently for car for daughter went to Rochdale and back in the day and the car there wasn't as described, the seller couldn't be arsed to be there (ran a shop) and his wife with limited English was the main one to deal with, things really went downhill on a test drive where one cylinder misfired and the bonnet popper handle fell off as tried to see what if anything was going on, considering that car only had 3 cylinders you can't have a misfire and dash message saying ECU problems, was a short test drive, despite having travelled it wasn't worth the pain, likewise if anything not right, walk away.

Quick look shows it might be a bit leggy, but that in itself need not be a bad thing, at £4k, condition, condition, condition!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    hawk13's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    635d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    @ Tomsdad and thanatoid.

Although I appreciate you both taking the time to reply, it may help if you actually read the OP. I don't want a 2 litre car and I am quite aware of how to search for a car and willing to wait for the right one - it took me 9 months to find my 6 series.

What I want to know (as I'm not especially familiar with the Z4 or the 3 series it shares running gear with) is whether there is anything I should be aware / wary of. For example, if it has more than 80k on the clock and hasn't had xyz work either walk away or factor in a £500 service bill.

Or is full service history essential on the 6 cylinder models that I am looking at?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hawk13 For This Useful Post:

BMW2511 (17-05-2017)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMW2511's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    440i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    It might be worth your while to visit the Z4 forum Z4-forum.com - Index page before you go looking. There is a mountain of stuff that's worth reading to get an idea of what, where and how. Join and ask the question they are a willling bunch I'm sure you'll benefit from there expertise
    2016 Z4 18i sDrive
    2017 440i M Sport
    1992 4.0 Jaguar XJS Coupe
    1975 MGB Roadster