BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1999 z3 e36 2.8 Facelift - leaking roof

12K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Heath 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

We have been suffering with a leaky roof for a while. In my desparation used some silicon sealant and applied it to the hard top rubber that touches the near vertical windscreen rubber faces at either side of the windscreen. This was very successful and we irradicated the water ingress.

Yesterday, on a lovely sunny day we decided to get the hard top off and enjoy the breeze in our hair (whats left of it!), this came away with minimal encouragement and the silicon came off with a minimal of rubbing with a finger. Highly successful.

However, as I look at the 'fit' of the softtop roof put up, it is apparent that the rubber faces are separated and you could easily fit a *** paper between the seals. So when it rains we will suffer the ingress once more.

I have seen suggestions for the use of silicon grease on the mating faces of the seal, has anyone suffered this problem and come up with a less greasy solution?

Thanks
Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

We have been suffering with a leaky roof for a while. In my desparation used some silicon sealant and applied it to the hard top rubber that touches the near vertical windscreen rubber faces at either side of the windscreen. This was very successful and we irradicated the water ingress.

Yesterday, on a lovely sunny day we decided to get the hard top off and enjoy the breeze in our hair (whats left of it!), this came away with minimal encouragement and the silicon came off with a minimal of rubbing with a finger. Highly successful.

However, as I look at the 'fit' of the softtop roof put up, it is apparent that the rubber faces are separated and you could easily fit a *** paper between the seals. So when it rains we will suffer the ingress once more.

I have seen suggestions for the use of silicon grease on the mating faces of the seal, has anyone suffered this problem and come up with a less greasy solution?

Thanks
Dave
Dave not too sure what part you're talking about from your description?.. but if your talking about the leading edge than runs from the top of the a-pillars either side and along the front/top of the windscreen then you can alter the gap/tension of the roof by adjusting the roof hooks..

if you open the roof and look at the roof hooks - you'll see they are held securely with a grub screw.. untighten this grub screw and you will then be able to tighten (clockwise) or slacken (anti-clockwise) the roof hooks.. do it 1 thread at a time.. if you tighten the roof hooks then this should tighten the seal for you..

HTH

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Pangster,

As we had rain forecast for today I dashed outside this morning and made a 'fix' which works really well (y).

Once I have got this 100% I will do a 'How To' on what I did.

However this morning I dashed out to the car, popped the top up, stuck some cling film over the Screen corner...

Then, applied some silicon sealant - I was going to use clear but it had gone off so I only had white. Once proven I will get some Black - ....

Then closed the roof to mate the faces ....

Just before I set off to work, I popped the hood right down as it was sunny :cool and removed the cling film. Everything separated really well so I was pleased.

We got the rain fore cast...... :D ....... worked a treat :thumbsup However I have noted the rear roof joint has let a little moisture in, so I will do the same for that.

Well pleased :thumbsup

#5 · (Edited)
** Update **

Well, we have had some pretty sharp rain here, we have not had any water leak in. This method is a 100% fix. :cool

I haven't adjusted the roof hooks on the hood, no need now. :thumbsup

Cheers for suggestions

p.s The pictures aren't going to load until I connect my PC up at home. BT have finally fixed our telephone line :mad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.