Model of Car:
    Z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster

Thanks
    Hi, Got woken up in the middle of the night by the alarm on my 1999 2.8 Z3 Roadster. No reason for it to go off. Reset and car locked okay.

Drove to work only to have the alarm going off intermittently in the car park - unlocking and locking silenced it but only for a min or 2.

Remembered that manual said press remote lock twice to dissable any interior sensor (where are they?). Same result.

Finally removed fuse 43 in order to shut the thing up - 43 because the other two listed included other functions such as clock, etc.

Replaced the fuse before driving home, but then noticed that the central locking on the drivers door isn't working from the remote. Passenger side and boot unlock on the button, but I had to use the key to unlock the drivers side.

Using the key I can unlock both doors and boot, so the central locking is linked to the drivers door, but the acctuator won't unlock it on the remote.

Now is the alarm going off a symptom of a dying lock actuator - or have I confused the hell out of the system by removing fuse 43? I have tried all combinations of key and remote with no luck - the drivers door refuses to lock or unlock.

It's a late (Oct 99) 2.8 Roadster with a 3 button remote.

Any ideas anyone or do I have to start pulling the door apart?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,047 Times in 5,322 Posts
    It does sound like the door actuator/solenoid may well be causing this, first thing I would look at is the solenoid problem as it's not working anyhow so needs fixing, and inadvertently you may fix your alarm problem at the same time.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    vitesse67's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster

Thanks
    Just to clarify - the door actuator was working fine, up until I removed the fuse. Now its dead as a door-nail

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 316i Compact / W203 C200K AV SE / A3 1.8T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 / 2003 / 2002
    Transmission Type:
    Manual / Auto / Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback / Saloon / Hatchback
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vitesse67 View Post
    Just to clarify - the door actuator was working fine, up until I removed the fuse. Now its dead as a door-nail
    maybe its picking up interference from your HIDs..

on a serious note - this might help:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-guide-t12855/

in addition to 3 most common problems with the Z3 alarm (in no particular order are):

1) the radio sensor - there is a trigger sensor behind the factory radio which is depressed by a bolt protruding from the rear of stock headunit - if you've removed your stock headunit and replaced it with an aftermarket item then I'd check this first (and either disconnect the sensor or cable tie it so it's compressed all the time) - it'll make sense when you look at it

2) the bonnet sensor - this often doesn't engage fully with the bonnet (it's located on the right hand side of the slam panel - kind of in line with the passender side headlight) - a replacement one of these is around 10 from the dealers - I had to replace mine when I had my Clifford 650 MKII installed

3) the tilt tamper sensor - this is located under the flooring in the boot and can trigger if it gets moisture in it i.e. if you have a leaking boot due to third brakelight gasket etc or if it picks up too much condensation

/\ if it's a sensor problem that is.. or like Ronnie said it could just be that the actuator was on its way out...

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by pangster; 06-10-2010 at 17:59.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    vitesse67's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pangster View Post
    *deleted*
    Was it something I said?

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 / 2003 / 2002
    Transmission Type:
    Manual / Auto / Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Thanks
    Was it something I said?
    nah - more what you didn't say.. if you post on a forum asking for help and someone takes the time and makes the effort to try to help you resolve the problem - then surely it's only good manners to provide them with an acknowledgment or response (even if it didn't help).. from what I could see you were on here most of last night - yet you couldn't even be bothered to respond to my reply when I was trying to help you..

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    vitesse67's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster

Thanks
    No, I took a quick look at your response about 10pm on my Taptalk (free) Ipod app at work, but I can't post from it. When I got back to my PC this morning you'd already deleted it at 11pm!. You got to give a guy a chance to read it and respond.

I searched and found a similar response from you on a previous thread and I'm still getting my head around it.

Thanks for responding, and the info looks good.

Please remember that although the PC may be switched on and have the forum up and running, it doesn't mean that there is anyone actually there and reading it.

I acknowledge that you obviously have a great understanding of all things BMW and are always quick to respond to posts - for which I, and many others are greatful. But please don't make judgements about others when you don't know their personal circumstances.

Thank you for the post anyway, if you ever wish to know anything about Triumph cars, Hammond Organs or Air Traffic Control systems then I'm you man.

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 / 2003 / 2002
    Transmission Type:
    Manual / Auto / Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Thanks
    No, I took a quick look at your response about 10pm on my Taptalk (free) Ipod app at work, but I can't post from it. When I got back to my PC this morning you'd already deleted it at 11pm!. You got to give a guy a chance to read it and respond.

I searched and found a similar response from you on a previous thread and I'm still getting my head around it.

Thanks for responding, and the info looks good.

Please remember that although the PC may be switched on and have the forum up and running, it doesn't mean that there is anyone actually there and reading it.

I acknowledge that you obviously have a great understanding of all things BMW and are always quick to respond to posts - for which I, and many others are greatful. But please don't make judgements about others when you don't know their personal circumstances.

Thank you for the post anyway, if you ever wish to know anything about Triumph cars, Hammond Organs or Air Traffic Control systems then I'm you man.
    fair enough... good job I kept a copy!

to be fair it's a pet hate I have on forums in general that people go out there way to help others and the original members don't even have the decency of adding a reply (which would not only confirm if the solution worked but potentially help other forum members in the future).. I realise from your response above that you're not like this so apologise for clearly misjudging you.. I thought you might have still been in the huff over the HID thread...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pangster For This Useful Post:

vitesse67 (06-10-2010)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    vitesse67's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster

Thanks
    I thought you might have still been in the huff over the HID thread...
    I try not to take offence - it just raises the blood pressure - as long as it's lighthearted banter.

to be fair it's a pet hate I have on forums in general that people go out there way to help others and the original members don't even have the decency of adding a reply (which would not only confirm if the solution worked but potentially help other forum members in the future)..
    I know what you mean - I too get a bit miffed when you spend ages typing in your hard won wisdom for no acknowledgement or feedback. Plus when threads go waaaay off topic.

The only thing raising my blood pressure is this flippin' car ! The Z3 is the only BMW I've ever fancied owning (six appeal !), but it just seems to be one thing after another with this one!! Tyres I had calculated in when I bought it 2 months ago, but not bushes, dampers, leaking door seals, front disks and pads, cracking rear window and now door actuators! When will it end? I think some Hillbilly screwed this one together on Friday afternoon.

At least I can still lock the door with the key - if it was the passenger door it would be a real pain.

Have to wait until I get some time off work to pull the door apart and attempt the surgery. My wife already thinks I bought a pup. I know it's 10years old but it has full BMW history. I thought it would be better than this.
    Last edited by vitesse67; 07-10-2010 at 12:06. Reason: Add quotes for better understanding

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    BristolZed's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3 3.0
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Sounds like you got a bit of a lemon with that car vitesse need to through some money at the car to get it up together rather than wasting it on HIDs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast