318D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    SEMI AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Hello everybody,

New to this.. apologies think i posted in wrong forum.

We are just about to embark on the first purchase of a BMW 318D TOURING 2012, I believe model is E90?! 58k Miles on the clock. (immaculate service history)
    I have read some horror stories about the cost of replacing the DPF and wondered if anybody who owned a diesel BMW with a DPF could offer some advice. Is there any way that i can know if the DPF will need replacing (or soon) before i buy the car? Are they commonly replaced or just cleaned? And i guess in simple terms should i be worried about buying a diesel with 58k on the clock for fear of the DPF needing replacing.
    I have also read some contrasting reviews that say they are not particularly a problem but wanted to seek some expert advice from BMW owners!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Luke

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    bwchiptune's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    estate
    Thanks
    I have proven these bmw Dpf will last 350,000 miles

If you read my answers to many Dpf posts you will see that there are a lot of people, garages, and so called remap companies that don't know how to test ,find and prove why a bmw Dpf blocks up in the 1st place
    so they recommend the easy route and remove the Dpf which is the wrong thing to do and it's illegal to drive a car on the road it the Dpf has been removed

I was at a main dealers the other week and the tech didn't even know how to test the basic thermostat reading on faulty thermostats

I have also proven that it is possible to Regen a Dpf with over 900mb of back pressure

BW chiptune
    Tuning BMWs since 1991
    BW autorepairs
    Over 30 year repairing BMWs
    New and fully refurbished BMW Ecus
    0208 561 1818
    07831 103030
    Hayes
    UB3 1BB

PERFORMANCE ECU TUNING(ALL CARS)FOR Bimmerforums MEMBERS
    CHIPPING AND REMAPPING
    Dyno Dynamics Rolling Road
    WORKSHOP REPAIRS(BMW,AUDI,VW,VAG,MERCS)
    TURBO,SUPERCHARGER TUNING
    ENGINE TRANSPLANT ECU CONVERSIONS
    CODING & PROGRAMMING,
    ECU REPAIRS & DPF,CAT REMOVAL
    REMAPPING TOOLS AND TUNED FILES AVAILABLE
    M5 F10 M6 F12/13 REMAPS £699
    WE HAVE NOW MOVED TO HAYES UB3 1BB
    www.bwchiptune.co.uk
    www.bwautorepairs.co.uk
    www.tuningtools.co.uk
    +44(0)7831 10 30 30
    +44(0)208 561 18 18

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    CMOSUK's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E90 320d Efficient Dynamics
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I have a BMW e90 320d with the dpf 2010, it's now done 34,000 miles

Bought with 26,000 miles with full service history. I do, do short trips like 16 miles a day non motorway miles, but take it out every week on the motorway for long drives cruising at 50-70 mph for an hour or so. This should help regenerate the dpf or at least burn off the particles.

I would also invest in a diagnostic cable and software so you can monitor itand clear fault codes that might prevent regeneration of dpf.

Usually a tell tale sign is if you look at the exhaust tip (inner side) if it is black or sooty or so it might be a sign it has not been burning off the particles.

Other things to look for which is a must nowadays if you get the reg of car and type in Google mot history checker you can see all passed mot's and failed one's.

Usually you can get an idea if it night have failed on emissions tests or other things and get an idea if there is anything slightly fishy with the car ( such as mileage)

The main thing about them from my reading g and research as well as owning a diesel is these are mainly designed for long motorway miles and so doing short trips doesn't help the dpf, but I suppose taking the necessary steps in help burning the particles does help it keeping it maintained.

If any info I gave given is incorrect or outdated apologies in advance 🙂

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMWNOVICE85's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    SEMI AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for the responses! i will certainly have a look at the exhaust and make sure that i take her for a decent drive each week! The car has sailed through each MOT albeit with tyre tread advisories.

Certainly food for thought and look forward to joining you as an owner of a BMW (hopefully very soon)!

Thanks again!

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    racey1979's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    I would recommend you invest in a mycarly adapter and app. It'll cost you about £80 all in but well worth it in my opinion. You can monitor an endless amount of parameters dpf related. Soot content, ash content, distance travelled since last regen and you can also perform a force regen. Not only that you can diagnose and clear faults, code etc. It's plug & play and simple to use.

Failed thermostats are the biggest dpf killer. If the car doesn't reach temperature, the dpf won't regen.

Short trips will also cause you problems because it takes 10 to 15 minutes for the car to reach a temperature that will allow a regen, which also takes 15 mins or so. If you do predominantly short trips, work and back, shop and back, school and back etc etc I would buy a petrol to be honest.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Renars's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bwchiptune View Post
    I have proven these bmw Dpf will last 350,000 miles

If you read my answers to many Dpf posts you will see that there are a lot of people, garages, and so called remap companies that don't know how to test ,find and prove why a bmw Dpf blocks up in the 1st place
    so they recommend the easy route and remove the Dpf which is the wrong thing to do and it's illegal to drive a car on the road it the Dpf has been removed

I was at a main dealers the other week and the tech didn't even know how to test the basic thermostat reading on faulty thermostats

I have also proven that it is possible to Regen a Dpf with over 900mb of back pressure
    Isnt it risky for turbocharger to regen at that amount of back pressure ?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Linkpad's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    I bought my 325D about a year ago and the DPF error light came on luckily I took it to this place that cleaned out the DPF for like £400 and it went from 89% blocked to 4% blocked so even if it where bad I wouldn't worry !

Car Details
    bwchiptune's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    estate
    Thanks
    I have people ringing me every day where there Dpf light has come on wanting to book there car in or been to a garage who has told them it needs to be removed or taken off to clean it

If you have not driven your car with a fuel tank of fuel for 1 hour at 75mph without stopping
    Try this 1st if you light has just came on
    If it dose not Regen then it will need looking at as there will be a component on the engine giving the wrong readings which is stopping the Regen (your Dpf does not need to be removed)

8 people have rang me back this week to say thank you as there car has now regened and they where told the Dpf was blocked and needed removing by other garages
    (Remember the insides of your Dpf is worth £££ as it has precious metals which these Dpf removers sell off
    Also your car will be illegal to drive on the road with the Dpf removed)

Only 1 person has rang me back to say it did not work and has booked it for me to test there car on my rolling road

I think it's about time that we had a section where members can post the garage or persons who have told they need to remove there Dpf without any testing of the car and the owner has just driven the car on the motorway and it's regened as loads of people are being ripped off by these companies and persons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CHIPPING AND REMAPPING
    CODING & PROGRAMMING,
    www.bwchiptune.co.uk
    www.bwautorepairs.co.uk
    www.tuningtools.co.uk
    +44(0)7831 10 30 30
    +44(0)208 561 18 18

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bwchiptune For This Useful Post:

racey1979 (18-02-2017)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    racey1979's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bwchiptune View Post
    I have people ringing me every day where there Dpf light has come on wanting to book there car in or been to a garage who has told them it needs to be removed or taken off to clean it

If you have not driven your car with a fuel tank of fuel for 1 hour at 75mph without stopping
    Try this 1st if you light has just came on
    If it dose not Regen then it will need looking at as there will be a component on the engine giving the wrong readings which is stopping the Regen (your Dpf does not need to be removed)

8 people have rang me back this week to say thank you as there car has now regened and they where told the Dpf was blocked and needed removing by other garages
    (Remember the insides of your Dpf is worth £££ as it has precious metals which these Dpf removers sell off
    Also your car will be illegal to drive on the road with the Dpf removed)

Only 1 person has rang me back to say it did not work and has booked it for me to test there car on my rolling road

I think it's about time that we had a section where members can post the garage or persons who have told they need to remove there Dpf without any testing of the car and the owner has just driven the car on the motorway and it's regened as loads of people are being ripped off by these companies and persons

Hi Jason, what happens when the DPF is completely blocked with ash? Would it not need to be removed for cleaning in this case or are there now methods of doing this with it still on the car? I monitor the DPF on my E91 335d and the ash content is around 36 grams. This never alters or reduces when regenning like soot does which drops to zero. It has increased very slightly since I bought the car in April.

Cheers, Andy

Car Details
    bwchiptune's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    estate
    Thanks
    For them to block up this much there has to be some think wrong so it's smokes loads like a hole in the boost pipe or the Dpf light has been on for along the the person has just ignored the light coming on and just drove the car till lost all its power

As long the engine is still running so it doesn't cut out it is still possible to Regen the car on our rolling road

CHIPPING AND REMAPPING
    CODING & PROGRAMMING,