BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Steering Noise

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  spyguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks. There seems to be a kind of rubber knocking noise coming from my steering and I'm not entirely sure if it's coming from the front drivers side wheel or the steering rack itself as I can hear it coming from the front end somewhere when I turn the steering wheel.to the right only, no noise at all whem turning left. Ineven made a video of it. https://youtu.be/uAwElKnN2Oc

#2 ·
It's hard to tell from the video the exact nature of the noise, so ignore my advice below if it doesn't seem likely!

One thing to check is in the footwell, where the steering column passes through the bulkhead, there is a rubber boot that can cause all sorts of creaks and groans due to lack of lubrication. You can pull the base of it out of the bulkhead and pull the boot back up the column a bit and spray some white Lithium grease on the bits that rotate when the steering column turns. This cured an odd groaning noise mine was making. Be warned, it can be a bit of a pain to get the boot correctly seated once you have pulled it out!

#3 ·
Agreed that it is hard to determine from the way you have done the video, ideally I'd say it may be better to Jack the car up and have someone turn the steering wheel while your under it as you may be able to narrow down to roughly or even exactly where it's coming from...

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. The noise you hear is exactly the noise I hear in the car, I couldn't have captured it clearer if I tried. I checked the rubber boot and it's not that. I'll take a look under the car soon and see if I can pin point it down. One thing I did find strange was one one the bolts holding on the steering rack turns tightly but never gets right or comes out, it just keeps on turning. Not freely, very tightly. So if I try and tighten it it will appear tightened but just keep tightening. Same when I try to loosen it. Wonder if that would cause it.

#5 ·
Update on the steering issue for those who may have the same problem. After a mechanic checking the front wheel joints etc that I suspected might be at fault, there was no play and nothing untoward, except for the drop link which I replaced to no avail. I then checked underneath at my steering rack and when I checked the two main bolts that hold the rack on to the chassis, it appears that the bolt nearest to the driver's side (the side where I suspected the knocking was coming from) it turns tightly in the hole. So it's tight but not snug tight, and when I try and tighten it, it just squeeks when it turns but won't tighten and won't come out either. I have read online that tightening these bolts can cure the steering noises, and was holing someone could assist me with a remedy to tightening or remeoving this bolt please?

#7 ·
I never seen there is a nut above the frame where the bolt screws into, its kinda hard to see up there. Held the nut and tightened the bolt. The issue remained but solved now as I changed the strut mount for a different brand and the noise is gone. Hopefully for good.

#8 ·
Hi folks. The car has been into the garage to have over £1500 worth of work done. Here is what was found. The front sub frame bolts were tight, however they were cross threaded so when the steering is turned the sub fame is moving slightly giving a knocking noise through the front frame. The front suspension strut was also bad, although it wasn't leaking it looked like the original strut, as it was rusted pretty badly. With the shocks replaced and sub frame bolts properly fitted there is no more noises from the front end, in fact the car feels totally transformed and drives like it has just came off the forecourt. I hope this helps others who may be experiencing the same issue.

#10 ·
In actual fact the complete list came to over £3'000. The garage that quoted this were not the garage that done the work, I sent the inspection report and the quote to various local garages to see who could beat it, so I got a cheaper price elsewhere and only got the important repairs done. Other parts were put anti-bacterial treatment through the air conditioning unit, put rear covers on the front headlight units, brake disc shields replaced and a few other bits and pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.