BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Refurb turbo for 320d...where from?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  geofus 
#1 ·
Hi, my turbo has just given up on me and I was wondering where the best place to by a refurbished turbo was ?

I have had quotes from Turbo Express £510 and Turbo Solutions £600

Any one with experience of this?

#8 ·
I got mine from Turbocharger BMW 320d E90 E91 ; 120d E87 ; 163hp ; 49135-05671 ; 49135-05670 | eBay same engine as yours I think, bit skeptical at first but came within 48 hours and looked better than expected, in fact looked new complete with actuator and all the trimmings.
All you need to buy extra is a new gasket set. Turbocharger Gasket Kit BMW 530d 525d E60 E61 / 730d E65 / 120d E87 / 320d E90 | eBay

Simple to fit yourself in about 10 hours with this guide babybmw.net • View topic - E91 320d turbo replacement - Completed, pic heavy! but I did remove the intercooler and EGR cooler and EGR valve to clean them both because they were filthy, I also cleaned and degreased all removed parts and fitted new filters and oil before starting up.
Biggest problem I had was reconnecting the turbo back to the catalyst, no room to move and had to unbolt the turbo in the end to allow me to wiggle the two together before the clamp would fit.

I had a small problem with the immobiliser not starting the car afterwards, but this was sorted with our local BMW indepentent garage who re synchronised the key with the ECU. Not sure if this was connected with the rebuild or with the car having other issues or low battery voltage.
Still early days but everything is now running 100% and lot lot cheaper than a £1500 bill as was originally expected.

#9 ·
Hi, thanks for that letting me know about that post, I am now determined more than ever to do the job myself and that is the second time that Midland Turbo have been mentioned so I will phone them tomorrow and see what they say but I think I'd like to go down the same route as the chap in the post and have my own one reconditioned.

I keep in mind your points about fitting the thing.

Cheers

#11 ·
Go for the exchange turbo, less downtime and you should get a new actuator with it. The actuators are set up with the turbo during re manufacture for best results, mine had very sloppy worn linkages as well, while the new one had no play at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUJs-i3k1a0

this is the same turbo as mine, make sure you turn on subtitles (captions).

Good luck, mine is now up and running perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.