BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Poor starting from cold, poor idle then clears. Glow plugs changed...

8K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  davidkent89 
#1 ·
Afternoon.

As above, this only started the other day really.. But...

My car started fine, ran fine, I had the dpf out and still all was fine, it hasn't been mapped out yet.
I had a code for glow plug, so decided to get these done before the map.
One snapped so it was a nightmare, but now they're all done and all fault codes for this have gone.

However, every bit of google searching seems to point at glow plugs for for this fault.

First start, cold start is awful. Turns over a good few times, chucks some smoke out and starts. Lumpy.
A few seconds and it's all good.

The plugs removed were Bosch, same as what went back in.
It didn't do this before, even with one faulty plug (fault code present) and one snapped plug.

I had the EGR blanked at the same time, but it was the same both before and after the EGR blank, swirl flaps are also now gone.

Not really sure what to do now, the only codes I've got are EGR codes, and dpf codes coming up.

Surely this isn't right, but there's no obvious signs, and with one plug down it'd be like it was before.

I've checked the fuses and though there's 5 options, only 2 had fuses in.
No glow plug light came on this morning, but did yesterday, it still started badly.
MAF sensor has been changed for a brand new one, still the same.

2008 N47 engined 320d

Please help!

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry I miss read. Didn't realise it started ok before hand.
I've done my egr, swirl flaps at same time and had no problems.
Maybe check all connections and everything has being put back properly.
I believe the map sensor at the back of the inlet can cause starting issues?

#5 ·
No worries.
Seems strange though yeah Could have ruined the map while cleaning the inlet maybe...

Once started once it starts on the button every time.

Fault codes are present as you'd expect so far but all relate elsewhere and are justified

EGR actuator position sensor 004CAE
Egr actuator load 004B39

These two make sense as the egr is unplugged.

Particle system 00452A
Particle filter 004CAE
Exhaust back pressure sensor 004CAE

These all tally to the dpf. I replaced the sensor and as soon as it does a regen it comes up showing its just confused as dpf is gone.

The only one baffling me is the unknown failure 003EED but this has popped up with the dpf code intermittently anyway

#6 ·
I dont think map can cause issues like that run live data if u have inpa to check air mas etc to see if u can see air mass or even fule pressure fluxuating and like above make sure all is back together properly

#8 ·
I'll have to have a good look out there.
Course I can only cold start it once a day otherwise it's fine. 20 seconds in it drives like a dream. Down on fuel economy but always has been since I've had it.

I don't have inpa or dis just carly at the moment.

Unplugged sensors seem to throw codes as there was hundreds when the car was back together. I reset them and only relevant ones came back so I doubt anything else is unplugged and the egr was plugged in on the first cold start and it was still groggy.
Inlet gasket was replaced too while it was off.

Very very odd that it really is only when it's cold - all points at these stupid glow plugs :/

#12 ·
That would tie up with the reasonable ones I've found online.
It's had too much money this month so I'll do the map and go from there.

Maybe it'll sort it or maybe it'll throw a code up for something the next couple of cold starts

Unless anyone has any more suggestions.

Thanks so far chaps :)

#15 ·
Maybe worth mentioning that when I got the car back it indicated low battery charge.

My start stop only intermittently works after after a long journey with lights and stuff off.

Could point to a battery fault but would this effect cold start or glow plug activation?

Unlikely I'd say?

Battery charge is fine now, no warnings. Done 100 miles since getting it back

#17 ·
My start stop only intermittently works after after a long journey with lights and stuff off.

Could point to a battery fault but would this effect cold start or glow plug activation?
Bad battery would deffo affect the electronics and starting of the car.
The IBS would start acting up.
Your IBS SENSOR could be faulty too,it is easily damaged.

#16 ·
Have a read up on the wiring loom issue on those cars.
The loom from the dde to the injectors can give issues,im not saying that
this is your problem,but its worth a look.

#19 ·
Yea,disturb anything on a bmw and suffer later lol.
The ecu lives under a black lid on the passenger side near the windscreen in the engine bay.
Should do anyway,wat car are we talking about?
Ok n47 320d.You do know about the damn timing chain issue with this car I presume??????.

#20 ·
If your car is a 2008 model,then get your ass to a bmw main dealer straight away and find out if your car is covered under bmw goodwill scheme
against the timing chain issue.Be prepared to drive a courtesy car for a week or two though.
Don't touch the car until you find out this information.

#22 ·
Mmmmmm I know and I feel for ya.
That's the reason I stopped at a e60 520d at april 2007 build m47 tu2 engine as my latest purchase,i could have gone higher in the years but not high enough to avoid the timing issue.
The m47 engine is bullet proof,it has no timing chain issues.
My m47 136bhp 320d with 143k on the clock is living proof of this
Google for n47 timing chain noise and see if your car sounds alike.

#24 ·
Just checked both fuses for the glow plugs according to the diagram in the glove box.
Both were fine.

Checked the module was plugged in correctly and all seems fine, the round connector spins but that seems to be normal.

One thing I have noticed is even when the car is cranking, or before cranking, the glow plug light doesn't seem to come on at all.
Assuming the only one that does, is the glow plug symbol on the square part of the cluster display.

I'm not convinced that it isn't another fault, caused by all of the recent disturbance, as opposed to the glow plugs and module, especially given that there's no codes popping up.

Baffled

#26 ·
Another update.
Earthed an old glow plug with a jump lead and connected the plug from cylinder one glow plug to the end of it.

Turned the ignition on, coil light came on and the plug heated up nicely. Well nicely ish as it was an old plug.

This ties in with it not being the control unit and also ties in with no fault codes present for glow plugs!

Help :(

#27 ·
I only get a brief glow light on a very cold morning,i put key in ignition and don't press the brake,then press the start button,which turns on the ignition.
Then after a couple of seconds I press the brake and start the car,my car starts way better this way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.