Only getting 15 MPG from my E92 325i, is this normal?! Also a suspected oil leak

Notices

Thread: Only getting 15 MPG from my E92 325i, is this normal?! Also a suspected oil leak

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Only getting 15 MPG from my E92 325i, is this normal?! Also a suspected oil leak 
    p94
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    p94's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi All,

I've just bought my first BMW last month, it is a 2006 325i E92, automatic with 48k on the clock however it seems i'm only getting 15MPG! This is with mostly London city driving. I have a black box fitted so I was always stick to the speed limit with low revs, would the MPG be normal for this car? would appreciate if anyone can tell me what they are getting on theirs?
    I have changed the spark plugs which hasn't improved anything and will change the oil and air filter sometime this week.

It seems I also have an oil leak because I topped it up to about the 3/4 mark but after driving 400 miles in 3 weeks it is has dropped to a 1/4. I took it to two different garages who put it on a ramp and checked it however the could not find anything. There is however some oil around the oil cap area and I have recently found some drips of something on the bottom tray between the windscreen washer unit and engine (pic attached) , would anyone have any idea what is causing this?

IMG_20170108_000901.jpg

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Jamesoverton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E91 325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I've got an e91 325i touring and also don't see the best mpg. They are not very good on fuel at all, mine is reading 20.1 at the moment and that's a mix of city and some B road driving. I would say that 15 around town if it's a lot of stop and start is probably normal. Heavy cars and the auto box defo doesn't help at all. In regards to the oil they are known to leak from the valve cover the gasket gets frail and seeps oil. The other thing to bear in mind is they do guzzle oil anyway I have to put a quarter of a litre in every 500 miles or so. BMW say a litre every 1000 miles is within spec! They are good strong engines but water pumps and valve cover leaks are the two main issues with these from what I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Rixster89's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    A small oil leak wouldn't be anything to worry about to be honest, but yours sounds quite excessive. It might be a sump gasket leak, many higher mile BMWs suffer from this although it's not usually so severe. The bad news with this is, it's a good 5-6 hours work to get to the sump gasket. I suspect mine is seeping from the sump gasket currently (since i found a bit of oil when i serviced it) but since it's only using 1L every 5000 miles i'm not going to bother doing anything about it.

As for MPG, 15mpg sounds right in heavy traffic for a touring to be honest, i have a 330i coupe with the newer, supposedly more economical N53 and I get 18mpg if i'm pottering around in heavy traffic, but will get 35-40 on the motorway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E91 325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p94 View Post
    Hi All,

I've just bought my first BMW last month, it is a 2006 325i E92, automatic with 48k on the clock however it seems i'm only getting 15MPG! This is with mostly London city driving. I have a black box fitted so I was always stick to the speed limit with low revs, would the MPG be normal for this car? would appreciate if anyone can tell me what they are getting on theirs?
    I have changed the spark plugs which hasn't improved anything and will change the oil and air filter sometime this week.

It seems I also have an oil leak because I topped it up to about the 3/4 mark but after driving 400 miles in 3 weeks it is has dropped to a 1/4. I took it to two different garages who put it on a ramp and checked it however the could not find anything. There is however some oil around the oil cap area and I have recently found some drips of something on the bottom tray between the windscreen washer unit and engine (pic attached) , would anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Attachment 206193

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    One other thing that just occurred to me was I thought I had an oil leak and when I removed the engine cover to inspect the gaskets I found oil in the spark plug cylinders where either me or the garage when servicing it was careless when filling it up with oil, if you spill any oil it seeps into the cylinders. Might be worth taking the cover off and having a look around

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Rixster89's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesoverton View Post
    One other thing that just occurred to me was I thought I had an oil leak and when I removed the engine cover to inspect the gaskets I found oil in the spark plug cylinders where either me or the garage when servicing it was careless when filling it up with oil, if you spill any oil it seeps into the cylinders. Might be worth taking the cover off and having a look around

This happened to me too, but with his oil consumption i think it's safe to assume he has a leak.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E91 325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixster89 View Post
    This happened to me too, but with his oil consumption i think it's safe to assume he has a leak.
    Could it not be a leaking oil cap, also quite common if they are not seated correctly or dirty? Think you a right about a leak but worth cleaning everything up and monitoring .

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Thomson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Am I the only one that thinks 15MPG isn't right?

I drive an E46 330i auto in a heavily congested town, with the foot down every given opportunity and I'm still getting 19MPG.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    goldbcfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster
    Thanks
    I have 2.5 Z4 i get 32mpg driven daily. You may need a good service and check maf or intake for damage

E46 coupe 318ci
    E46 convertible 330ci
    E46 coupe 325ci
    E85 Z4R 3.0i
    E46 coupe 330ci
    E85 Z4R 2.2i
    E46 convertible 318ci
    E85 Z4R 2.5si

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    p4ddy.b's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 (The year of the lemon)
    Transmission Type:
    manual M43
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    If it was leaking out the filler cap the engine would be smoking and the smell would be strong in the car.
    1999 318i with crumpled bonnet

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,052 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks 15MPG isn't right?

I drive an E46 330i auto in a heavily congested town, with the foot down every given opportunity and I'm still getting 19MPG.
    I agree 15mpg is not right I would check the engines running temp in case the thermostat is knackered
    I see an average of 17 mpg from a supercharged V8 and I don't drive like Miss Daisy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast