2008 E92 320D auto M sport Coupe Timing chain/Reconditioned engine disaster :(

Notices

Thread: 2008 E92 320D auto M sport Coupe Timing chain/Reconditioned engine disaster :(

Reply to Thread
  1. 2008 E92 320D auto M sport Coupe Timing chain/Reconditioned engine disaster :( 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    itwentbang's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d M sport coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi All I'm new to bimmerforums and am desperately hoping for some advice. Literally between a rock and a hard place. Story to follow ( there are a lot of things I would have done differently in hindsight but I am where I am now unfortunately).

I was driving my 320d when it lost power october 2016 - AA were called and recovered it to a local garage ( one who I have used off and on for all my bmw's over the past 6 years or so). The garage diagnosed this to be an issue with a stretched/broken timing belt and advised I would either need a replacement engine or have mine reconditioned.

They advised me to purchase an engine code N47D20C. I searched the internet for quotes and came across an engineering firm in Scotland who supplied me a used recon engine for £1200.

This was shipped to my mechanic who fitted it. He advised car was left on the ramp and ran fine for 2 hours then developed a fault - loud banging noise.

I called the engineering firm and complained - they advised this would now be a warranty issue eventhough I argued that the car hadn't left the ramp. I also complained that this would incur extra labour charges that they should pay. The company advised they could uplift both engines and recon my existing engine and return it.

So they reconned my engine and sent it back. The mechanic fit it but advised the engine was loud - rattling sound and it was the timing chain most likely at fault.

I complained to this firm again who once again after countless phone calls and arguments agreed to once again uplift the engine for repair - I agreed reluctantly when the owner/director himself called me and said he would personally oversee the repair.

So the engine was reconned a second time and received 2 weeks ago and fitted - Once again it was the same fault - very loud timing chain.

I have been calling the engineering firm for 2 weeks and getting nowhere - I have advised them to call the mechanic and deal with him directly - they keep saying they will but this hasn't happened. The mechanic in the meantime is happy sitting back claiming it is definately a fault with the engine and not the fitting. So I'm totally stuck and and pretty heart broken with the car 4 months later still gathering dust.

I had garage repair cover with the AA who agreed to pay the first £500 of the repair but now I don't know where I stand with that either...

Would anyone be able to advise what could be possibly going wrong technically and how I should progress I'm totally hitting a brick wall and financially I just cannot afford this..

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Phil325i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E92 325i MSport Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Small claims court or Trading Standards...
    E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; ; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    itwentbang's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d M sport coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    yep thanks I'm going to call trading standards and go from there just worried that the car is languishing away and I'm going to get nowhere..

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Jim Bergerac's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    I had similar with an engine I purchased off the parts gateway. It was an MG ZT v6 190 engine I purchased, my mechanic fitted 3 new cambelts etc etc and after fitting the engine (cost £1500 all in inc engine) the bottom end was noisey. Had the same bull from the supplier and it made me ill with worry as I had to buy another engine and was out of pocket.
    So my advise from someone who has learned the hardway Get online asap and file a case with trading standards. Its not hard just fill in the details, get a written report from your garage about the condition of the engines received and keep all receipts.
    You will win, it takes a bit of time and its not Perry Mason in court. It usually is a room where you sit down in front of a JP and he hears both sides of the story. Go for it asap and dont make yourself ill with worry like I did.
    Just let the garage you bought the engine from know you are not messing around any longer and your going to court. You have wasted time, money and energy and no longer have the confidence to deal with them anymore.
    Good luck matey.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Bergerac For This Useful Post:

itwentbang (17-02-2017)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    itwentbang's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d M sport coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Thanks Jim Bergerac I think that's what I needed to hear! I have filed a case with trading standards and I'm going down the route of small claims court. I will post updates on how I get on as no doubt this is a relatively common issue on this model. Not sure how I stand posting the engineering firms details at this stage so I won't. Thanks again!