BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2007 E91 320d Msport, wont start after Turbo change, Help !!

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  payno 
#1 ·
AS described in another thread, I had the misfortune to blow my turbo on a trip to the Lake District but managed to limp home very slowly, I put the car on the drive and left it till next day. That evening thought have a look to try and repair, walking up to the car the alarm siren sounded, its never done that before only made that "chirp chirp" sound when alarmed has been activated, thought that was strange! Tried to start the car to turn it round and it wouldn't start and eventually battery wouldn't turn over any more. So replaced the Turbo and carefully put everything back together, car still wont start, tried jumping it and turns over very fast but wont start, squirted a touch of easy start through the EGR vale and it fired up then died. Last night removed a gland from the fuel accumulator and no pressure of diesel, its as if no fuel is at the injectors when cranking but I can hear the fuel pump running when key goes in and have recently replaced the fuel filter. Am I missing something, immobiliser ? or does the turbo need matching to the cars ECU ??

#3 ·
What happened to the turbo? oil seals? If alot of Oil got passed the turbo and into the intake/Intercooler then that oil could have damaged the Injector Tips- hence why it does not start. I have seen this happen too often or when people swap over the turbos and dont drain out the Intercooler of oil before restarting the car.

Without the car started, it will be difficult to run a diagnostic on it (with respects to injetors working/issues)

If it starts with easy start and then dies................My money would be on the duff injectors

#4 ·
Bearings went on the turbo and then the seals, and then it smoked badly on the overun, Oil did get into the intercooler but this was cleaned with degreaser before re-assembly as were all the pipework and air intake.
I know I shouldn't have done it but on cranking the starter we had no fuel pressure at the accumulator on top of the engine, so seems no fuel for the injectors, although could you hear the fuel pump starting and stopping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.