Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I went to my first track last Thursday to do a track evening at Rockingham and canít wait to go again in September.

Initially I started looking for another 330i just to track as didnít want to ruin mine buy stripping it and modding if for the track since I spent ages looking for a nice one with the options I wanted. But itís a bit difficult to justify having 3 e46s (my gfs has one as well).
    So first thing first, tyres. What tyres shall I get? Iíve got Avons on staggered MV2 at the moment. They came on the alloys I bought on ebay. They are fine for the road but on the track, the fronts got hot and started to melt after a few laps. I have a spare set of staggered MV2 I was going to put winter tyres on after I trashed the bridgestones on them doing an Airfield Driver Training Day with Andrew Walsh from car limits:

Are R888s good for heavy cars? Itís a medium compound so worried if they will they last and not overheat? Am I better to going for hard compound like NS2R (180)?

What about pads? Which ones are good for track but still usable on road? I donít mine squeaking and brake dust but prefer good value.

Is it worth changing brake fluid to higher temp?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    GregE36's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci M Sport + 318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002 + 1998
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    I cant really help you much with tyres as I have only ever used Kumho V70 tyres, which are fantastic on the track in the dry, but terrible in the wet. So you wouldn't really want them on a daily driver.

As for brake pads, a good budget set-up would be EBC Yellow. I put a set of these on the front of my 330Ci road car(only as they didn't really cost me anything)after I cooked the Brembo pads at the Nurburgring after just 1 lap.
    The EBC pads held up much better, but the 330Ci is a heavy car so you will always struggle with the standard calipers. If on a budget, ideally you want to use EBC Bluestuff(I use them on my e36 race car) but they are not road legal. I would personally use Ferodo DS2500, as I have heard nothing but good things them, but they are almost twice the price of the EBC pads.

I have always run ATE TYP200 Racing Brake Fluid in my race car and never had any problems with brake fade. You should change the fluid every couple of years anyway, so I would definitely do that anyway as the TYP200 is not much more expensive that standard fluid - its going to be £15 very well spent!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GregE36 For This Useful Post:

thegentleway†(17-01-2017)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    thegentleway's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE36 View Post
    I cant really help you much with tyres as I have only ever used Kumho V70 tyres, which are fantastic on the track in the dry, but terrible in the wet. So you wouldn't really want them on a daily driver.

As for brake pads, a good budget set-up would be EBC Yellow. I put a set of these on the front of my 330Ci road car(only as they didn't really cost me anything)after I cooked the Brembo pads at the Nurburgring after just 1 lap.
    The EBC pads held up much better, but the 330Ci is a heavy car so you will always struggle with the standard calipers. If on a budget, ideally you want to use EBC Bluestuff(I use them on my e36 race car) but they are not road legal. I would personally use Ferodo DS2500, as I have heard nothing but good things them, but they are almost twice the price of the EBC pads.

I have always run ATE TYP200 Racing Brake Fluid in my race car and never had any problems with brake fade. You should change the fluid every couple of years anyway, so I would definitely do that anyway as the TYP200 is not much more expensive that standard fluid - its going to be £15 very well spent!
    Thanks for the advice. Agreed about car being heavy. Can you strip it to reasonable weight or is it always going to be heavy? I keep looking at mx5s and clio sport as they are cheap and light.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    goldbcfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster
    Thanks
    Buy my Z4 for sale faster lighter and better handling. I tracked my 1st Z4 was fun

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...60-6s-t460697/

E46 coupe 318ci
    E46 convertible 330ci
    E46 coupe 325ci
    E85 Z4R 3.0i
    E46 coupe 330ci
    E85 Z4R 2.2i
    E46 convertible 318ci
    E85 Z4R 2.5si

BMW Master
    Car Details
    thegentleway's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goldbcfc View Post
    Buy my Z4 for sale faster lighter and better handling. I tracked my 1st Z4 was fun

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...60-6s-t460697/
    Nice car! Way over my budget though for a track toy. Good luck with the sale.